Sunday, January 17, 2010

"God is Good at Any Time"

for my birthday our language teacher gave me a copy of her husband's book/31 day devotional. i was already in a planned reading in novemeber so i waited until jan 1 to start reading. it worked out to be perfect timing.

friday morning, dan, who always gets up much earlier than i do these days, came into our room at 7, sat down on the side of the bed and gently woke me up. i was fearing that it was time to finally get up since we had a packed day of leaving our house at 7:45 to go to immigration to check on paperwork for our friends, picking up other friends who needed a ride the the airport, language class, a trip to the grocery store and then possibly back to immigration because the one guy who could help us may not have been there at 8 am when they open. (i plan but with contingency plans now- i'm SLOWLY starting to get life here.) but that is not what he said. he said this:

the battery in our truck was stolen last night.

now waking up is hard when you are pregnant. and this is not what i wanted to wake up to. but the grace of God was hovering over me at the moment so instead of getting mad i rolled over, sat up, and grabbed my devotion book. day 13 is titled: "God is Good at Any Time!". the author talked about how we like to say that God is good all the time but he would rather change it to at any time to help move us to a specific focus- like right now! he also included this quote:
"His goodness shines through in times when we are uncomfortable, when all of life seems to have gone crazy" Gracia Burnham
and this prayer:
"O my God, however perplexed I may be, let me never think ill of You. If I cannot understand thee, let me never cease to believe in You. It must be so, it cannot be otherwise, You are good to those whom You have made good; and where You have renewed the heart You will not leave it to its enemies" Charles Haddon Spurgeon.

and God was good at that time. not just to me in the moment but for the whole day. we didn't get much of what we had planned accomplished but our friend shelton, who is also a mechanic, came over and helped us, we made it to language class only 20 minutes late, and we now know how to file a police report. and of course we praised God that it was only our battery that was gone and not anything else. possibly the easiest fix besides stolen gas.

-m

1 comment:

SheagrenSpot said...

I love reading you two (three). And I miss you both fiercely. Thanks for writing, it does me good to hear your voices, if only in my head.