Tuesday, March 24, 2009

our garden


So, we have a garden. Living without one has been kinda rough, ever since I left the farm, so it's really nice to have one. We're growing yellow squash, zucchini, watermelon, carrots, broccoli, basil, cilantro and flowers (from seed) and onions, tomatoes and eggplant from seedlings. Each morning, after kissing my wife, I seriously cannot wait to go outside and empty our french press, because that gives me an excuse to check on (speak tenderly to) our plants. Saturdays are the best, of course, because I don't have to rush this. And about life being hard without farming...well, it's hard to describe, but farming has meant a lot to me...I'd even say it changed my life. There's something about having my hands in the dirt, busting my back to pull out weeds, tasting a tomato that would convert a diehard tomatophobe...I could do this the rest of my life. Maybe I will.

-Dan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. Our Virginia lettuce is just starting to break the surface of the soil.