Friday, August 14, 2009

a faith that trusts that God will provide

that was the title of the sermon we heard on sunday. it was a sermon dan and i both really enjoyed. he used gen 22:1-19, the story of abraham sacrificing isaac. i've loved this story for a long time but on sunday something new was pointed out to me: "Abraham said to his young men, "Stay here with the donkey, and I and the lad will go over there; and we will worship and return to you.' " verse five. abraham had the faith to trust God to provide that he told his servants that he and isaac would go to worship and both would return! i like that kind of faith. i like the kind of faith that dan and i (and many of our friends) are putting into practice. God always provides and we notice all the more when we are actually trusting Him to do so. i am so honored to have examples of people around me who are trusting God to do big things. i am honored that they challenge me to trust God to do big things.
the second thing that stuck out to me where abraham's words, "here i am". years ago i knew i was supposed to be in missions when i heard the passage in isaiah of him saying, "here i am Lord, send me". when i read these words again my heart jumped knowing i am being sent because i am willing to go.
so this sermon sticks in my head and heart as we prepare these next two weeks before getting on a plane for zim. we prepare and will get on that plane saying, "here i am" and with faith that is trusting for God to provide all that is good.
-m

No comments: